Saturday, January 26, 2008

Halfway Home

This past week was very long but I can't believe it is over already. We had many long days of some very strenuous physical activity, as well as some hurry up and waiting. One of the things at which I constantly marvel is this group of people who have been called into this ministry. There are several observations I would like to make on this topic.


First, if there wasn't some higher power driving them to be here and become Army chaplains I doubt they would be sticking it out, myself included. Although this training is not boot camp, it can be a rude awakening to military life for those who have no prior military training and are used to running their own lives and not placing a large organization like the Army before themselves.


That being said, the second point is that I have never been in a group this large going through so many trials together that has maintained such a positive attitude. We are all Christians in this class, with a minority from high church traditions and the majority of us being protestant. Under-represented faith groups are Catholic, Jewish, Islamic and Buddist chaplains, so if you know anyone of those persuations, please let them know the Army needs them. There have been numerous times when the opportunity presented itself to whine, complain and moan about the training or about waiting, but instead everyone has maintained a positive attitude, helping and encouraging others. We have also spent the down time getting to know each other and seeking to further understand our different faith traditions. Contrary to what the world may be like, this has been an environment of tolerance and respect. Instead of heated arguments about beliefs, there has been open discussion. I have not heard division, but rather strengthening of one's own personal faith. When we "agree to disagree" about an issue, we seek instead common ground. Ultimately, that ends up being our belief in the one true God.

Finally, in spite our our commonality there is much diversity in backgrounds, cultures, and personalities. That makes for a lot of fun. It also makes for a stronger unity not in spite of, but because of the diversity. We are many people serving one God and one Country.

So this past week I had many new experiences. I did some things I did not think I would ever do and learned some things I wish I would have known long ago. There is no need to go into details about the training, but I will say that tracers look cool at night when they fly over your head.

This next week is the last of our initial training. Sadly, some of my comrades will be going home at the end, as they are only here for part of the class. I still have two more weeks after that until I get to go home to my beautiful wife and my kids that I miss so much. Other folks are staying even longer to complete the whole course, after which some of them will be going "downrange" with their units. Please pray for those chaplains who will be going into harms way to bring God's message of hope to our soldiers in combat zones. While here I have made many new friends and comrades in ministry (we don't bear arms). God willing at the end of the week we will all have earned the right to wear the black Army beret and will proudly call ourselves Soldiers of God (ask me to sing the song for you sometime).

Sorry for the intermittancy and vagueness of these postings. It is really not appropriate to give detailed accounts of military training, but if you ask me when I see you face to face, I can tell you some pretty good stories. Some of the names may have to be changed, but the humor will still be there.

Please keep the cards, letters, emails, packages, and small unmarked bills, etc. coming. They are greatly appreciated. See you in a few weeks when I am all the way home.

2 comments:

DOD said...

Wow!! What a fantastically wonderful and blessed experience!!! Thank you for sharing. I am anxious for your return and we can talk some more about all that you have learned.

I am passing your blog address onto Pastor Billy in hopes that you two can share experiences. By the way, we got a congregational letter in the mail yesterday,,, his unit is being deployed again in December. This time to the front lines in Iraq. They sure give him plenty of notice.

I wonder why there are not more candidates from other religions, especially the Catholics?

Each new blog I read you make the buttons on my shirt pop off even more. I am so proud of you I can hardly contain myself.

Well, this part of it is all down hill now so hang in there and you'll be home before you know it.

Love ya, DOD

Dee Dee said...

Hi Hock! It sounds like DOD knows the same Pastor Billy I do. I did not know he was being deployed again, though.
I miss your cheery presence at work but it sounds like you are having some amazing experiences and "going deep." I look forward to hearing more of your stories.