Friday, February 1, 2008

Warrior Priest

Okay, so I am not a priest as most people would think of. I am however, part of the "royal priesthood" chosen so that I may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called me out of darkness into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9). Remember the posting on calling? If not, feel free to look it up in the archive. I am also now a warrior, having earned the privilege of wearing the Army beret by completing my initial military training today. Whew! I don't know about ya'll but there were some times I wondered if I would make it this far.
Tonight as we drove back to base after dinner, I leaned my head against the back of the seat, closed my eyes and said, "Wake me up when we're back at the hooch." My battle buddy said, "It's only 6:30." It sure felt a lot later. Of course by then I had been up for fourteen hours, been on the champion Ultimate Frisbee team (undefeated of course), marched, laughed, talked, donned berets, gotten a haircut (high and tight, although the lady thought I said "middle-aged" I am still a bit of a low-talker), registered for Spring classes at seminary, talked on the phone to my wife, changed clothes, gone shopping and eaten dinner. I am afraid of going to bed early tonight because I get to sleep in tomorrow and I don't want to spoil it.
Back home, my grandma is in the hospital, as is my mother-in-law. My wife is leaving the kids with my mom to go up and visit her mom. She asked me for my take on these things happening at home while I am away. The short answer I gave her is to trust in God's sovereignty and know that He never allows us to suffer more than we can handle. I also know that "The Lord also will be a stronghold for the oppressed, A stronghold in times of trouble." (Psalm 9:9)
I know this because I heard the confidence in my wife's voice. Yes, family was sick and dying. Yes, the car needed some maintenance for the trip. Yes, I was 3,000 miles away and unable to do anything to help. And also yes, my wife was taking care of things and being a strong, confident single parent. I hope she saves some honey-do's for me so that when I get back in two weeks I won't feel unnecessary, like a spare-tire on a ship.
In two short weeks I will be done here, at least for the time being, and back home in California. I can hardly wait to see my wife and kids and family and friends again. I have made many new friends here and learned a bit about the Army and a lot about myself, but the count-down has begun and I am in the home stretch, literally.

2 comments:

DOD said...

Congrats, mighty Warrior Priest!!! We (Donna, Chance and I) just read your blog together. Read Chance's comments below. We are all proud of you and brag on you all of the time.

Now comes the "easy" two weeks of your stint, right??

Looking forward to having you back and hearing all about your experiences. We have to have a big celebration party.

Take care and don't worry about a thing back here -- all is under control. Love ya much!!

From Chance:
Hi dad I'm really proud of you and looking forward to when you come back.I have something for you when you come back.
love,
chance

DOD said...

Hey LT,
One week to go!! Hope all is going well. We miss you and anxiously await your homecoming. By the by, just so's you'd know, I check this everyday for new postings and comments.
Take care and God be with you during your last week and homeward journey. Love ya DOD