Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Time Flies

Well, let me take care of some housekeeping issues first. You may notice the layout has changed. I received some feedback that the previous layout was challenging to read, so I am back to the original black and white. Thank you all for your comments and well-wishing.

My status: I am tired and sore, my eyes are burning right now and will be more so tomorrow. My room has a nice view of a grove of pine trees, although I have only seen it twice since being here. It is dark in the morning when I leave and dark at night when I get back to the room. I am eating healthier and burning more calories than I am taking in. Did I mention that I am tired?

I have come to realize that most of the things I did not like about the military 20 years ago I still don't like, but I have a different perspective on them now. Then I was just trying to get through them, now I am experiencing them in order to have some common ground with the soldiers to whom I will be ministering. It is also easier the second time around, knowing what to expect and not having a drill instructor yell at me all the time.

I am constantly amazed at the people God has called to this profession. The cadre at the school are some of the most professional people I have ever met, especially the sergeants in charge of training us. The sergeants' job is to train us chaplains (and chaplain candidates like myself) to survive combat and be able to minister to the soldiers. They take their job very seriously, and are all committed to God and Country. That said, fun time is over, but the party is just beginning. Don't be late, be squared away, and help your battle buddy out. Hooah!

And speaking of people from the past, (I know, very rough segue), I ran into a guy who used to work for Roseville PD a few years ago, before being recalled to active duty in the Army. He is now a sergeant first class and in charge of one of the ranges here at Fort Jackson. Small world, huh?

Well, I've got to get ready for tomorrow's activities so good night everyone, and please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

DOD said...

Maybe this worked this time. Read your email. love ya dod

DOD said...

Donna talked to Becky last night. She said you went to several different church services yesterday. That must have been interesting. Becky also said that you have discovered some new muscles that you didn't know you had. Hang in there kid, we're praying for you. Love ya, DOD